5 Ways You Can Give Back During the Holidays
The Christmas Season is a time for giving, family get togethers, and holiday cheer. Unfortunately, there are many people who don’t have the opportunity to experience these things. There are a number of simple, yet impactful ways that we can do our best to make sure everyone has a happy holidays. To start, here are 5!
1. During this time of year, food banks and soup kitchens experience a high demand for food items. Locally, we have the annual Sue Stultz Turkey Drive, where you can donate a turkey to be distributed to the various food banks around the city. Last year the turkey drive collected over 4500 turkeys!
2. There are a number of people who don’t get to take a break over the holidays. People working in essential services like policing, corrections, fire departments, and hospitals are required to work during the holidays. We can show our appreciation to these people by bringing them a meal or small gift while they are working over the holidays.
3. Many families can’t afford to purchase presents for their children during Christmas. There are a number of local organizations and groups that allow you to “adopt a family” and donate money or in kind items. Think of the joy you could bring to a parent by allowing them to watch their children open presents on Christmas Day!
4. The holidays are also a great time of year to search your house for clothing, games, and other items that can be donated to organizations that will gladly find a new home for them. Its also a great way to de-clutter while you’re at it.
5. Sometimes its just the little things that make the biggest impact! Random acts of kindness are a great way to experience the joy and fulfillment that can come from giving. Whether its paying for a friend or strangers coffee, or simply holding a door for someone, spontaneous acts of service can go a long way in making someones day.
Happy holidays from the Porpoise team! We challenge you to make it meaningful in your own way.